Friday 28 August 2009

Beetroot Cake...

Since we've been having vegetable boxes delivered to us from these folks, we've found we quite often have bits and pieces which we wouldn't normally buy, or we're not quite sure what to make with. This led to one of my new favourite games being born, google dinner, where you simply pop into google the ingredients you have to hand and find a whole array of wonderful recipes using them.

Well when it came to googling beetroot, the recipe I found most was definitely beetroot cake, mostly chocolate beetroot cake, but I did find a couple of basic just beetroot cake. 'What a wonderful idea' I thought, 'just like carrot cake'.
As it happened I had all the ingredients I needed at hand for this recipe (which coincidentally is from the same website that we get our veg from). So as Milo was napping I set about baking.




It was lots of fun, mostly for the wonderful pink juice that bled pretty much everywhere! And it was a very easy recipe. Once in the oven it started to smell fantastic, and then, well, it started to just smell a little weird!




It came out well, to look it, and is pretty much the perfect cake consistency, lovely and light and moist, but, well, it just doesn't taste that great! It's not bad, we'll probably manage to eat it all between the two of us, after all cake is cake, but I certainly won't be making it again. Maybe I'll try the chocolate variety next time.

3 comments:

  1. ainly sounds.... um.... interesting. ;)
    Thanks for the warning though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love beetroot, though cant say I would in a cake though. Brave girlie for trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you pleased with Riverford? I'm really thinking about getting some boxes, but I'm concerned that I will end up with some vegs that I do not know what to do it... are the vegs tasty?

    thanks :)
    margarida

    ReplyDelete