So cheer myself up I've been seeking out others lovely bokeh pictures, here are a few of my favourites ::
Monday, 30 May 2011
I've had this bokeh idea on my pinterest board for a really long time now, last night I decided to give it a go. Turns out I don't have the right kind of lens, I neglected to check this before rushing straight in and was super disappointed when I couldn't get it to work.
Friday, 27 May 2011
Inspired by lovely friend Melody, I set out last weekend to find some elderflowers to make a cordial, I actually failed. I think I must have been looking in the wrong places, however I did notice some down at the allotment. So on Tuesday when Bex and I were done with digging for the day we went to collect some elderflowers.
We found lots and lots, when we picked them they hardly smelt at all, but by the time we got them home there was a very strong scent of elderflower pouring out of carrier bag.
We set about counting them and knocking the bugs out of them as soon as we got back, and well there certainly were a lot of bugs, so much so that both Bex and I ended up itching all over at the thought of them.
I ended up with 3 different recipes, one from Melly, one from the river cottage preserving handbook and one from the river cottage hedgerow handbook. So I decided to mix it up and make up my own. This is what I did.
30 or so elderflower heads
1 kg of golden caster sugar
1.5 litres of water
the juice and zest of 3 lemons
the juice and zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon citric acid
As I already mentioned we knocked the heads lightly to remove the bugs and dust and then popped them in a big bowl.
Then I added the water and the sugar to my preserving pan and slowly heated through to dissolve the sugar, once dissolved I brought it up to a boil.
I then poured the sugar water mix over the elderflower heads, added the juice and zest of the lemons and orange, plus the citric acid, gave it a stir, covered and left for 24 hours.
After 24 hours I strained the mixture through a piece of sterilised muslin, I let it drip for a couple of hours, then using a funnel (sterilised of course) I de-cantered it in to (sterilised) jars. I used jars because I didn't have any bottles, I'm not sure if this OK? I see no reason why not, just not perfect for pouring, but so far I haven't spilt any!
It tastes pretty good, I'm very pleased, only had it with water so far, but very much looking forward to mixing it with some sparkling wine this weekend.
Monday, 23 May 2011
a fairly perfect weekend
I used the basic jam recipe that I used last year, however mid way through I took a peek at Pam Corbin's recipe in the River Cottage, Preserving Handbook, to discover her's is quite different. It was too late this time, so I guess there will have to be more strawberry picking and jam making later in the year! Along with a whole lot of scones and victoria sponges and homemade jammy dodgers and jam tarts to use it all up!
Friday, 20 May 2011
Tuesday, 17 May 2011
it must be about 6 weeks now I've had my allotment, all in honesty I haven't been there for 2 weeks. This does not bode well. However my Mum has very kindly purchased me an amazing bike, so once that arrives I'm really hoping I will be a better allotmenter.
For the time being I can share with you some of the photos we have of the experience so far ::
So far we've done little else but dig! And there is still a lot of digging to do. Eventually it will be a no dig allotment I hope, but there are quite a few weeds (it could be worse though) so we're digging it this year, but hopefully not again!
The main grass area I will build beds on to rather than dig, but certainly not this year! The main bed area at the back is big enough for now.
So far there is very little planted, we were gifted some raspberry suckers from a neighbouring allotment and there is already some fairly poorly looking rhubarb there. We've sown some chard and beet seeds, but so far that is all!
Tonight I'm taking up some bean, pea and sweet pea plants to put in though!
this week is real nappy week. We've been using cloth nappies on Milo since he was about 3 months old and we love them!
With the help of go real I've been sharing the secret of cloth with my little sister and her baby, Aston, for the last week. You can see how we've been getting on over on the real nappy challenge blog.
Oh my so I've moved again, but this time I really hope it will be for good!
I've come over from typepad, where I had 3 blogs, none of which I was really looking after very well at all!
I decided it was probably about time to set up a proper website for my little business, somewhere to direct people, instead of the list of online shops I have on various venues, don't get me wrong I have no intention of leaving any of these places, but I was paying for typepad, not much less than I am now paying for my own website, so all in all it seemed the best thing to do.
I have a blog on the new website which will be for all businessy type bits and bobs, but this one here will be for me, my knitting, my gardening, my allotment and of course my boy!
I have managed to import most of my old blog posts from typepad, working on the others, so you should be able to see them below.