Monday 17 January 2011

a blanket for the rug ::

a blanket for the rug ::


well a blanket version  of the rug at least.


a blanket for the rug ::


Ever since we got this rug I've intended to crochet a blanket which matched in some way.  Originally I was just going to use the colours and do a traditional granny square blanket.  But the more I've admired the rug and thought about the blanket to accompany it, the more I thought an exact replica might be the way to go.


a blanket for the rug ::


I finally purchased the yarn on Saturday.  I decided to use the fabulously cheap stylecraft 100% acrylic double knit.  Yes I would love to make it a beautiful organic cotton, but realistically I just can't justify spending that much on yarn at the moment.  After hearing about Lucy of Attic 24's love for this yarn, in this post here, I thought I'd give it a go and actually it really is OK.  Plus it comes in so many colours!


a blanket for the rug ::


After many different attempts (I even considered knitting it) I decided to work each block in straight trebles, working each colour as I came to it, rather than working from the middle out.  This way I can join each block as I go.


a blanket for the rug ::


So I've only done 3 blocks so far, but so far so good!  Though I do get in a fairly massive tangle, trying to use all those colours at once!  My aim is to complete 7 blocks a week, if I stick to this, I should be done in a month and a half!  I won't be holding my breath!  But I shall keep updated.



9 comments:

  1. Both the rug and the blanket look lovely - so many bright colours, they must make your house look so much more cheerful on the gloomy grey days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! The colours are amazing (yeah for acrylic) :-D
    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Bright, colorful, creative. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the rug... it's so vibrant! I bet it's twin will look equally wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a bit skeptical about the Stylecraft yarn before I first used it but actually it's pretty good, especially for the price. Love the idea of making the rug design into a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you-they certainly do! I love the rug so much, my mr bought it for me as a christmas gift, when I was pregnant and spent a lot of time lying on the floor trying to get comfortable(as you do when you're pregnant!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative idea! I love the way you're working your blocks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It's just what I needed to get myself to start crocheting again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh that is so so lovely to hear! thank you, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete