Thursday 16 May 2013

Granny Square Cross Stitch ::


So as I mentioned in my last post, I've recently found myself getting a little bit addicted to cross stitching!


I've been going about a week, but I love it.  I started trying to replicate an image of a geometric art deco inspired pattern I found after a quick google search.  This didn't go down all that well however, I kept making fairly silly mistakes and found I was spending more time undoing my work than I was actually stitching.

Cross stitching granny squares. 

Later on I decided to try and replicate that big love of mine, the crochet granny square.  It took a few attempts, but finally I got there.

I'm really loving doing these little squares and I have grand plans for a cushion or two (though I'm thinking I probably need to go up a size with my fabric and floss).

To help keep myself on track whilst I'm stitching away late at night and to avoid wasting time carefully unpicking stitches (definitely not as quick to do as ripping back crochet!) I drew myself up a little colour chart to follow and thought I would share it with you all.


So if you fancy stitching up your own, faux, granny square you can download the chart here.

I would like to add here that I am not an expert cross stitcher, but in fact very much a newbie, I have never worked from a cross stitch chart before and therefore have no idea how one should look and apologise in advance if anyone finds this method unorthodox or just plain confusing.  What I have spent
a lot of time doing is knitting/crocheting from colour charts and designing said colour charts, so I guess this probably looks like more like one of those than it should.  I do hope that others can understand it though and put it to good use.

If you do cross stitch any of your own granny's I'd love to see them!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pattern, it will be fun to make it into a pillow matching a crochet granny blanket.

    ReplyDelete