Wednesday 8 January 2014

Experimenting with Yarn and Kool Aid ::

As I mentioned in my post on Monday, last week I dappled in a bit of yarn dyeing.

Nothing remotely fancy, I used some sachets of Kool Aid I purchased at Wonderwool last year, some white sock yarn I purchased from my local yarn store, a frame I knocked together using bits of wood I had around the house and an evening of my time.


But from that I managed to produce something in 6 colours, that stripes (fairly evenly too!).  It's not perfect, there are a few patches of white and I think the sock itself looks a little like someone's taken a white sock and coloured it in with a bunch of sharpies, but hey, it was my first attempt at self striping yarn and only my second ever attempt at dyeing so I think I did OK. Plus I learned a whole lot to improve the process next time.



Unfortuantely I have much too much work to catch up on this week to spend much time on these socks, but I'm managing to sneak a stripe in here and there throughout my days.

2 comments:

  1. The yarn looks amazing! You might not like the white patches but i find them adoreable!

    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, actually in the finished socks the white patches look great, I really love them!

      Delete