Tuesday 25 November 2014

The Owl and the Pussycat and The Further Adventures of the Owl and the Pussycat :: A Book Review ::

The Owl and the Pussycat is one of my favourite childhood rhymes. I adore the sillyness of it all, but I'm not sure I'd ever read it to Milo before we were sent these new editions to review. Milo loves a rhyming story and many of Julia Donaldson's other stories regularly make their way into our bedtime reading pile.



These two books, beautifully illustrated by Charlotte Voake, contain the original story by Edward Lear in the first with a foreword by Julia Donaldson and the second is a brand new sequel to the original The Further Adventures of the Owl and the Pussycat written by Julia Donaldson herself.

Milo loved listening to both stories and really enjoyed the sillyness, especially 'the Pobble with no toes' who appears in the new story.

Julia Donaldson has done a reasonably good job of creating a sequel which feels similar to the first, though I can't lie, it somehow seems a little forced and an unnecessary addition to me, but that may simply be because I'm so familiar with Edward Lear's classic.  Milo however really enjoyed it.

You can see Milo's thoughts on both the books in the video below ::


The books are available here and here.

**we were kindly sent these books to review but all thoughts are our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment