Monday 15 December 2014

Festive Face-Off :: Christmas Wreath ::

Make a simple wintery wreath, using wire, ribbon and crochet.

A while back, Country Baskets asked me to take part in this years bloggers festive face-off. They kindly sent me and a collection of other bloggers a box of crafty goodies, we then put our crafty skills to the test to create a festive decoration with the supplies we were provided with.


I was so thrilled with the contents of the box when it arrived, it all looked so wintery and crisp and I was immediately inspired.


After much deliberation I decided on a wreath for our front door, something reasonably simple and classic. I used the wire to form a ring, using a large mixing bowl to help me get the shape and size right, I then carefully twisted the ends around the ring and finished them off with a little tape, just to keep the ends from poking out rather than to keep it in place as twisting did that just fine.


I then grabbed the biggest crochet hook I could find and using the ribbon and double crochet I worked all the way around the ring. This bit was quite tricky to get going, but once I got the hang of it was a breeze and worked up so quickly. I particularly love how the crochet ribbon not only covers the wire but also provides perfect little pockets for inserting decorations.



Next came the difficult task of deciding what to add to my wreath. In the end I used the mistletoe, the snow like pom poms and a few of the bells from the hanging bell decoration, using the little pockets created by the crochet to put them in place.



I'm so thrilled with my end result. It's proudly hanging on my front door and I love the little tinkle of bells it creates every time I come open the door.


If you fancy having a go at making your own you can find all the supplies I used over on the Country Baskets website.


1 comment: