Wednesday 9 September 2015

To Space or Not to Space?

To space or not to space? I'm talking about crochet pattern writing style of course. Last week I asked over on facebook and instagram if when reading a crochet a pattern you prefer to have a space between the number and the stitch or no space.
For example :
Row 1: Ch3, 3dc, 2dc in next st, 1dc in each st to end, turn.
vs
Row 1: Ch 3, 3 dc, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in each st to end, turn.

One thing I've definitely learnt in my last few years of pattern writing is that every publication seems to have their own way of writing patterns. For the most part they're pretty similar, but I find myself having to check and recheck a publication's style sheets numerous times whilst I'm pattern writing and almost always have to rewrite my notes to meet their criteria.



One thing I'm never sure of is whether or not to put that space between the stitch and the number. In my experience so far I tend to find UK magazines will omit the space, whilst US magazines like the space. Having taught myself from UK books, I think I'm probably more used to the lack of space, but I'm really undecided which I actually prefer.

The overriding answer on facebook and instagram was definitely no space, although there was a third option offered up; a space unless the stitches go in the same st. I think I really like this option, but wonder if it's too extravagant!
For example:
Row 1: Ch3, 3 dc, 2dc in next st, 1dc in each st to end, turn.
Plus in writing it out I realise there are more questions to be added to this style, do you space between the chains, do you space between the '1dc in each st to end'?

As I'm getting my crochet sock collection together and ready for publishing and looking in to taking on a lot more self publishing in the future, I've been constantly thinking about these (seemingly) minor issues the last few weeks! Time to write myself a really strict style sheet I think!

So what do you think? Space or no space?

No comments:

Post a Comment