Friday 27 May 2011

elderflower cordial ::

elderflower cordial ::

Inspired by lovely friend Melody, I set out last weekend to find some elderflowers to make a cordial, I actually failed. I think I must have been looking in the wrong places, however I did notice some down at the allotment. So on Tuesday when Bex and I were done with digging for the day we went to collect some elderflowers.

elderflower cordial ::

We found lots and lots, when we picked them they hardly smelt at all, but by the time we got them home there was a very strong scent of elderflower pouring out of carrier bag.

elderflower cordial ::

We set about counting them and knocking the bugs out of them as soon as we got back, and well there certainly were a lot of bugs, so much so that both Bex and I ended up itching all over at the thought of them.

I ended up with 3 different recipes, one from Melly, one from the river cottage preserving handbook and one from the river cottage hedgerow handbook. So I decided to mix it up and make up my own. This is what I did.

Ingredients ::
30 or so elderflower heads
1 kg of golden caster sugar
1.5 litres of water
the juice and zest of 3 lemons
the juice and zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon citric acid

elderflower cordial ::

As I already mentioned we knocked the heads lightly to remove the bugs and dust and then popped them in a big bowl.
Then I added the water and the sugar to my preserving pan and slowly heated through to dissolve the sugar, once dissolved I brought it up to a boil.
I then poured the sugar water mix over the elderflower heads, added the juice and zest of the lemons and orange, plus the citric acid, gave it a stir, covered and left for 24 hours.

elderflower cordial ::

After 24 hours I strained the mixture through a piece of sterilised muslin, I let it drip for a couple of hours, then using a funnel (sterilised of course) I de-cantered it in to (sterilised) jars. I used jars because I didn't have any bottles, I'm not sure if this OK? I see no reason why not, just not perfect for pouring, but so far I haven't spilt any!

elderflower cordial ::

It tastes pretty good, I'm very pleased, only had it with water so far, but very much looking forward to mixing it with some sparkling wine this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. This was so interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year I think 'I'm going to make elderflower cordial this year' and every year I don't get round to it. I'm adding this to my to-do list for next week. No excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, what pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an elder tree in my yard getting ready to bloom. I may have to try this. Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty enough to keep on the shelf! I hope it's as delicious as it looks.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete